Wednesday, May 7, 2008

.pretty girls need love too.

I feel pretty,
Oh, so pretty,
I feel pretty and witty and bright!
And I pity
Any girl who isn't me tonight.

I feel charming,
Oh, so charming
It's alarming how charming I feel!
And so pretty
That I hardly can believe I'm real.

See the pretty girl in that mirror there:
Who can that attractive girl be?
Such a pretty face,
Such a pretty dress,
Such a pretty smile,
Such a pretty me!

I feel stunning
And entrancing,
Feel like running and dancing for joy,
For I'm loved
By a pretty wonderful boy!

...this is the part where the record needle scratches and the song stops. Maria, West Side Story, singing but only singing that she feels that way because of a boy? why can't she just feel that way on her own? but let me not take out my anger on the puerto rican sharks, because i feel her. i get it, or at least i've felt that way. there are beautiful women out there who don't think they're beautiful because they receive little affirmation from the people they secretly want to hear it from the most, and that would be their male counterparts. i'm not talking about the leering, cat calling, hooting and hollering "yo can i get some fries with that shake" kind of gentlemen who don't know any better. i'm talking about a simple compliment like, "you're really pretty." your girl friends can affirm you, your family can affirm you, but bottom line, are you trying to date them? i sure hope not, but who am i to judge? and call me old fashioned, but yes, the men need to step it up! they need to learn how to court a woman, how to treat her with care and respect. and women, you need to stop being so mean to the men. if a guy holds the door for you, say thank you, not "i can do it myself" and roll your eyes at them. you know what you just did? you made him slam that door in my face the next time. we need to go back to the basics. can you believe that there's a genre of men out there participating in a GAME of picking up women? that's just sad, but again, i don't place the blame on the men, it's just an awful generation of broken children not having good role models. the divorce rate is not as high as they usually report, but still, the effects of any divorce are not good.
wow, i really didn't know how i got to this thought, but yeah, the cynic here is trying her best to give the good guys a chance.

and yes, i will sing this song in my head today, sans boy verse, with MINIMAL resentment.

No comments: